Thursday 27 August 2015

Shooting and Survival Suits

 Hello it’s Kendal here.

It's crazy to think we have actually been living in the Arctic for over a week now.  It is the summer here now with temperatures of around 4-8 degrees - in many ways very similar to Scotland in the Autumn and definitely not the image you have when you think of living in the Arctic. The temperatures will drop and the snow will fall eventually so what better time to ease ourselves in with some survival training for living in the Arctic.

The safety training (or as I like to call it "survival training") is a mandatory element of our course (Arctic Technology).  The training is intended to teach us the basics of surviving in the Arctic including important lessons such as how to fend of a polar bear and survive the Arctic wilderness.  


The first lesson was on how to handle a rifle. While many people might not be very keen on guns, when you are under attack from an angry polar bear it is essential to be able to defend yourself.  The training was held just outside Longyearbyen in a wooden hut with a shooting range out the back. First we were briefed on the basics such as where to shoot a polar bear and what the different parts of the rifle were. Next we were shown how to half load the rifle which is how we are supposed to carry it whilst out of town hiking. Before collecting a rifle we must show we are able to half load it everytime.  We then moved on to shooting at targets. This was my favourite part of the training! Given my farming background and my family's involvement in local gun clubs I was used to being around hunting rifles but was quite nervous about being tested in front of everyone.  Before coming to the Arctic I thought I would get some practice in with family and friends - just one tip I learned when practising - don't get too close to the gun when pulling the trigger you might end up with a black eye! The targets were approximately 30m away which was quite close. The reality is no polar bear is going to be exactly 30m away and stay that way so we spent time practising from different positions. Fortunately Daniel, Jamie and I are survivors(!) and all passed.  Since I'm writing this post I'm going to claim the title of best shot - after all I was the only one to hit the targets each time so I guess I beat the boys!  After shooting the riffles we also practiced shooting a flare gun which is used to try and scare of a polar bear.


Our first shot -Daniel closest to the camera and I'm in the pink coat







Jamie - Orange coat and boots


Daniel and I

The next day we all dressed up in bright orange ocean survival suits (I'd like to think we didn't look like convicts on the run - but that is probably wishful thinking on my part!) and taken, in what can only be described as a small army tank, to the marina. We didn't just dress up in our suits to parade around town as the newbies but on arrival at the marina we all had to jump in the water, link up and clip onto each other in two groups and then swim to shore. Jamie and I were very lucky and managed to stay dry in our waterproof suits unfortunately the same cannot be said for Daniel who ended up soaked.



Everyone being loaded into the tank to jump off the jetty

In the afternoon we all set down for a more subdued activity, a classroom session on first aid which covered all the essential first aid information required to survive in the Arctic. 

Now that we have mastered the art of survival in the Arctic we can turn our attention to the exciting and not at all threatening environment and surroundings we have come to study!! Here's to surviving and thriving in the Arctic! 






No comments:

Post a Comment